Sunday, May 5, 2013

Static-Dynamic Continuum (Module 5)

As technology has progressed, so have the ways that instructors can design online curriculum.  Last week I provided examples of ways that instructors can use content, collaboration, and communication to design effective and engaging online experiences.  The graphic organizer takes that information a step further and divides activities into static and dynamic.  Static opportunities create a "one-way" approach to gaining information, while dynamic opportunities create a "highway" of information between multiple sources and people. Moeller (2008) suggests that a higher level of creativity and understanding is needed to use dynamic technologies as opposed to static technologies.  This may also suggest that higher order thinking skills would be needed as well.

As for my location on this continuum, I would say that I am somewhere in the middle, but a little closer to the static end.  As I have progressed through one graduate level course in an online setting and now navigating through my second, I tend to use more static technologies.  Up to this point, most of my assignments and learning opportunities have only required me to use static technologies.  I have an in-depth knowledge of all of the technologies listed on the graphic organizer, but have only needed just a few.  By the time I finish this graduate program I would like to have used all of the activities mentioned above in some way as a means to complete an assignment or activity.

I must also admit that both types of technology is needed to create the optimal learning opportunities.  Earlier in the course we discussed the use of hybrid classroom that employ both traditional methods and distance education methods.  This is also case where mixing the two forms of technology can create the optimal learning environment where assignments are differentiated and require multiple skill sets to accomplish.

Resources
Anderson, T. (Ed.). (2008). The theory and practice of online learning (2nd ed.). Edmonton, AB: Athabasca University Press.

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].

5 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Your Graphic is excellent because it displays the static objects which cannot allow changes and the dynamic objects that allows changes to the systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petti,
      Thanks for the compliments on the graphic organizer. I found that I use a variety of technologies from both types, and that there needs to be equal use between the two forms. Do you see that you use both or one over the other?

      Delete
  2. Brett,
    Unfortunately our school system is the same way. Facebook and Twitter has been blocked from the servers in our school system. The only option that I have found is something called Edmodo.com. It appears to be a social networking site only for students. I have not used it yet, but I have been exploring its qualities and it is as close to Facebook as we can get in our school system. However, I am scared that it will be used for purposes other than educational networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you plan on incorporating new technology to students with time restrain to teach all the necessary information before state testing? Each year after state testing I try to incorporate a new technology tool to see about how long it would take for students to understand how to work it. If it isn't time consuming I implement the followings school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John:

    I am not sure of the classification of such web2.0 tools as wiki, emails, instant and text messages in the static section of the continuum. I nevertheless find your concept map very balanced.

    ReplyDelete